[Vmail-discuss] Complete Package

Chris Lightfoot chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:07:01 +0100

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 01:42:50PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
> Are there any plans to make a 'complete package' which wich will install
> everything, the changes to exim.conf installing the pop3 server, etc.

No, though it would be quite easy to write a shell script
to do this if you plan on deploying the software on
numerous machines.

> I've tried to follow along with 'out of date' instructions on the vmail site
> and the readme inside the current archived file, the instructions on
> building the pop3 servers, either of them, are not very clear and doing
> ./configure, make, make install simply doesn't work for me and there is
> nowhere to search for help.

tpop3d is not built with autoconf; you need to edit the
Makefile in the package. I believe that Mark did some work
on `autoconfiscation' but the presently released version
does not incorporate it.

For reference, here are the settings we use (on a RedHat
system, but we use lockfiles &c. so there should not be
any significant difference):

MAILSPOOL_DIR = /var/spool/mail
CFLAGS += -DAUTH_PAM
LDLIBS += -lpam -ldl
CFLAGS += -DWITH_FCNTL_LOCKING -DWITH_DOTFILE_LOCKING
CFLAGS += -DWITH_CCLIENT_LOCKING
CFLAGS += -DIGNORE_CCLIENT_METADATA

and also

CFLAGS += -DCCLIENT_USES_FCNTL

but this probably does not apply on Debian.

I'm sorry if the instructions for building tpop3d are
unclear; I would welcome suggestions for improvements.

--
Chris Lightfoot -- www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
 God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's too afraid to laugh