[tpop3d-discuss]tpop3d needs fork?

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:39:05 +0100 (BST)

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> > To the best of my knowledge, no-one has yet taken over
> > maintaining tpop3d.
>
> I'm interested in keeping tpop3d alive. First task would be probably moving
> repository to some place which isn't going to disappear (code.google.com,
> sourceforge.net, berlios.de, something else?) and where other people could
> get write rights.

I can guarantee that the repository isn't going to be
deleted.  The machine on which it is hosted is owned by an
ISP, Mythic Beasts, that Chris co-founded, and as we use
tpop3d heavily it's not in our interest to delete the cvs
repository!  In fact, we (Mythic Beasts) will gladly
continue to host the project.

> Does anyone have copy of server side tpop3d cvs repository?
> (pserver:anonymous@sphinx.mythic-beasts.com:/home/chris/vcvs/repos)

Yes.  We can make this available.

I'm currently discussing with some of Chris' other friends
and colleagues what we think he would have wished to happen
to the code base, and we'd welcome comments here.  For
example, whether we should attempt to formally hand over
maintainership to someone, or simply allow the code to fork.
Also whether the project is still being actively developed,
or is now in bug-fix mode.  (My impression is that Chris
considered it to be the latter.)

Richard Smith