[tpop3d-discuss]tpop3d needs fork?

Daniel Tiefnig tpop3d at inode.at
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:52:44 +0200

Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> I eventually see that the only sensible wish from Chris we have to
> respect about the tpop3d code is that it has to be open-source,
> GPL-licensed code.

Of course it has to stay open source, not only because Chris would have
wanted it to be, but also because (I think & hope) everybody else does.

> We have to seek for a new maintainer, first. Further details will
> surely get fixed then.

Yes. I'm not sure whether we'll find someone with sufficient spare time
and dedication. We'll need to find a team of developers who can share
the load. Increasing the community might also improve (or worsen?) the
situation. The mailinglist has always been way to silent ...

>> Also whether the project is still being actively developed, or is
>> now in bug-fix mode.  (My impression is that Chris considered it to
>> be the latter.)
>
> This is one of the points I don't think we have to fix. What Chris
> would have decided if tpop3d could implement some new, appealing
> feature?

 From my conversations with Chris during 2005/2006 I don't think he
wanted tpop3d to stall. He gladly accepted the enhancements we
implemented at Inode and we were talking about new features that could
arise from my patches. There has just never been enough spare time.

lg,
daniel