RES: [tpop3d-discuss]owing to high load - tpop3d

Daniel Tiefnig tpop3d at inode.at
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:04:11 +0100

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 10:00:13PM -0300,
> ana.weidlich@procempa.com.br wrote:
>> The command "pgrep tpop3d | wc -l" returns between 10 and 20.

Sounds okay.

>> But the command "netstat -an|grep 110 |wc" returns  509  3054 40720

Thats way to high, but you're also counting TIME_WAIT sockets (and IP
addresses containing "110") with that.
What does the following command print?

netstat -an|grep :110|grep -c ESTABLISHED

Should be roughtly the same as the pgrep number above. If it isn't, you
might have a problem with your authenticator being slow or something.

On our boxes, I get numbers around 40 and 50 at the moment, (10AM)
they're each doing between 1 and 2 million POP3 requests a day.

> hmm... So that suggests that you have ~100 users connected and
> authenticated, and about 400 in the authentication phase.

How did you get to this numbers? From what was written above, I'd say
there are 10 to 20 authenticated users with an unknown number of
yet-to-authenticate connections.

lg,
daniel