[tpop3d-discuss]Issues on strip-domain and $(domain) variable

Manuel Giorgini Manuel Giorgini <giorgini at interlogica.net>
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:47:15 +0100

[2005-01-17 00:46:21] Richard Fincher,

RF> I have about 250 POP3 users, who all connect to the same host/IP number,
RF> using POP3 usernames which at present correspond with Unix logons, and
RF> are looked up in /etc/shadow.  I would like to begin being able to assign
RF> sid@domain1.com and sid@domain2.com as different logons.  To do this, I
RF> would like people to be able to use their entire email address as POP3
RF> usernames, and have the POP3 server distinguish between them.  I understand
RF> that the "strip-domain" directive in "/etc/tpop3d.conf" is used for this.

Not really... my tpop3d.conf reads,

# strip-domain: (yes|true)
# Fall back onto authenticating with username only if username@domain is
# supplied and fails to authenticate. [default: no]

that is, if "john@domain.com" cannot authenticate, tpop3d will try again
using "john" and same password.

We serve 500+ users on 12+ domains and in my configuration strip-domain is
not set.

RF> I am also switching to "maildir" format, and can get everything to work fine
RF> when using maildir:/var/spool/maildir/$(user)  What I cannot do, is use the
RF> directive maildir:/var/spool/maildir/$(domain)/$(local-part)  The result is
RF> an error saying thus:

RF> try_mailbox_locations: Variable has null value near `$(domain)/$(loca'

Can't help you with that; on our mail server, tpop3d gets the correct path
through the mysql database. I have "mailbox: maildir:${home}/Maildir" in my
configuration.

A question though: can you create usernames with a '@'-sign in it? If not,
how can you possibly authenticate 'sid@domain1.com' and 'sid@domain2.com'
using passwd/shadow only?

Cordialità / Best regards / Gxis la
Manuel Giorgini <giorgini@interlogica.net>, Programmatore
INTERLOGICA e-business solutions -  http://www.interlogica.net
Via Fusinato, 27 - IT 30171 Mestre VE - Italia - Unione Europea
Tel +39 041 099 30 00 (6 linee r.a.) - Fax +39 041 504 11 72