[tpop3d-discuss]Re: authentication failures on Mac OS X 10.3

Roger Baig Viņas roger.baig at gmail.com
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:08:38 +0100

After reading a bit there it goes a solution to the problem I posted a
couple days ago. The main thing is to use the pam_securityserver.so
PAM module from the Mac OS X to access the NetInfo auth data in the
/etc/pam.d/pop service file. I enclose all the rellevant files and
little modifications I made to my system to make tpop3d work on my
Panther. Thanks for your attention and your advice; I wish my info
will help someone.

$ cat /etc/pam.d/pop
auth      required    pam_nologin.so
auth      sufficient  pam_securityserver.so
auth      sufficient  pam_unix.so
auth      required    pam_deny.so
account   required    pam_permit.so
password  required    pam_deny.so

$ cat /etc/tpop3d.conf
listen-address: 0.0.0.0
auth-pam-enable: yes
auth-pam-facility: pop
auth-pam-mail-group: mail
mailbox: bsd:/var/mail/$(user)

$ sudo ln -s /usr/include/pam /usr/include/security

$ cd tpop3d-1.5.3
$ ./configure --enable-auth-pam
$ make
$ sudo make install

$ cat /Library/StartupItems/TPOP3D/TPOP3D
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##
# Start pop3d server
##

if [ "$1" == "start" ]
then
        if [ "${MAILSERVER:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]
        then
                if (ps axww|grep -v grep|grep /usr/local/sbin/tpop3d >/dev/null)
                then
                        ConsoleMessage "TPOP3D already running"
                else
                        ConsoleMessage "Starting tpop3d POP3 server"
                        if [ -e /var/run/tpop3d.pid ]
                        then
                                ConsoleMessage "Removing stale tpop3d pid file"
                                rm -f /var/run/tpop3d.pid
                        fi
                        /usr/local/sbin/tpop3d -p /var/run/tpop3d.pid
                fi
        fi
elif [ "$1" == "stop" ]
then
        ConsoleMessage "Stopping tpop3d POP3 server"
        kill -TERM `cat /var/run/tpop3d.pid`
elif [ "$1" == "restart" ]
then
        if [ "${MAILSERVER:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]
        then
                ConsoleMessage "Reloading tpop3d configuration"
                kill -HUP `cat /var/run/tpop3d.pid`
        else
                ConsoleMessage "Stopping tpop3d POP3 server"
                kill -TERM `cat /var/run/tpop3d.pid`
        fi
fi

$ cat /Library/StartupItems/TPOP3D/StartupParameters.plist
{
  Description   = "TPOP3D mail server";
  Provides      = ("POP3");
  Requires      = ("Resolver");
  Uses          = ("Network Time", "NFS");
  Preference    = "None";
  Messages =
  {
    start = "Starting TPOP3D";
    stop  = "Stopping TPOP3D";
    restart  = "Reloading TPOP3D cofiguration";
  };
}

--
roger