[tpop3d-discuss]tpop unable to handle load

Richard Stockton tpop3d at richardleestockton.org
Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:07:24 -0700

Hi Chris,

At 05:28 PM 9/8/2004, you wrote:
> > > Another quick check you can do (on a test server, probably...):
> > >    for i in `seq 1 N` ; do nc localhost 110 & done
> > >
> > > where N =3D 2 =D7 max-children + 1
> > >
> > > this should give you exactly 2 =D7 max-children `connected'
> > > log messages, and exactly one `rejected connection...' log
> > > message.
> >
> > I don't really have a test server to try this on.  Other than
> > momentarily shutting out new tpop users, what effect would this
> > test have on my live server?
>
>If it has any other effect, it's a bug!

I tried to run the test, but got this;

bash-2.05b# for i in `seq 1 101` ; do /usr/local/nc localhost 110 & done
bash: seq: command not found

It appears that "seq" is supposed to be a builtin command in bash2,
but mine doesn't seem to have it. [sigh]  Any substitute?

>If you do the USER+PASS version I sent, you'll get a bit
>of a load spike as tpop3d opens all those maildirs.

This one requires "seq" as well.

TIA.