[tpop3d-discuss]TODO

David Mitchell dmitchell at alphalink.com.au
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:00:47 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: <holmier@inomail.pl>
To: <tpop3d-discuss@lists.beasts.org>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 12:54 AM
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]TODO

*snip*
>  - when designing and using highly avaliable large e-mail system we need
a storage area, it's not a good idea to have mail directories in one     big
folder beacuse of I/O disk stress. To avoid this we can use hash
function to divide user maildirs in special directory tree.
>    One of such function is exim's nhash(), it's very simple to use it
when storing mail. The function i very efficent and allow us to
seperate e-mails equal through the directories.

>    One of the idea is to implement into tpop3d such function.
>    As we have mbox, maildir types we could have nhash type, for example
>    nhash:/var/mail/$(local_part) would append the proper hash to the
/var/mail, or we could also use /var/mail/$(local_part)@$(domain) to
calculate the hash of the whole e-mail address.

>    Another idea is to calculate the hash with php, or other languages
that frontends are based on.
>    This is generally used when storing users in databases and the mail
path is retrieved from db.
*snip*

Use of hashed mail spools is already available, as explained in the
tpop3d.conf man page.

Example from my config here:

mailbox: bsd:/var/spool/mail/$(user[0])/$(user)

Cheers,
Dave