[tpop3d-discuss]tpop3d+Exim with hashed maildir directories

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 14:27:53 +0300

Hello everyone,

I am a user of vmail-sql and tpop3d in a setup that has over 1600
domains and I must say the setup has performed very very well, and
is very stable. Thanks Chris for the outstanding work!

Perhaps my question would better be asked in the vmail-sql lists,
but since tpop3d is also going to be involved, I thought I'd just
ask here. Flame me if I am wrong!

If one has over 1k e-mail domains, it occurs to me that the hashed
directory delivery method can give improved performance, yes?

At the moment I am using Vmail-sql and Exim delivering mail to
/var/spool/virtual/$domain/$user/ - maildir format.
I am thinking about hashing all this to something like:
/var/spool/virtual/d/do/domain/u/us/user or something along those
lines.

Before delving into it, I wanted to ask if anyone has ventured into this
already and could share their experience.
I am thinking it will involve patching vmail-sql (and maybe tpop3d). The
Exim part doesn't sound to be too complicated, but it might as well,
since this involves an sql lookup.

Anyway, the horse himself lives here;)

Chris, comments?? Of is this a "Feature Request" for vmail-sql and
tpop3d?

Thanking you all in advance and do have all a nice weekend.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
						 --from a /. post