[tpop3d-discuss]Re: Compiling with mysql support

Dom Gallagher dgallagher at starnetusa.net
Tue, 11 May 2004 09:07:37 -0500

At 06:00 AM 5/11/2004, tpop3d-discuss-request@lists.beasts.org wrote:
>Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:38:19 -0700
>From: James Gurney <james@globalmegacorp.org>
>To: tpop3d-discuss@lists.beasts.org
>Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]Compiling with mysql support
>
>Banging my head against a wall here trying to get mysql support compiled
>in. My configure line is as follows:
>
>./configure --enable-auth-passwd --disable-auth-pam
>--enable-shadow-passwords --enable-mbox-bsd --enable-tls
>--enable-fcntl-locking --dis
>able-dotfile-locking --enable-auth-mysql
>--with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/local/mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-i686/include
>--with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/local/mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-
>i686/lib
>
>This results in the error:
>
>configure: error: vmail-sql authentication enabled, but mysql_init
>doesn't seem to be available.
>
>Searching the mail archives seemed to indicate that I should modify the
>configure script to include -lz, although it appears to be there
>already. However, it doesn't seem to be actually using -lz when it
>compiles the test. From config.log:

You're correct.

>I've tried re-extracting the archive and starting from scratch, so
>there's nothing cached, but still no go. I've considered the possibility
>that maybe my mysql version is a little old. Upgrading it is the next
>thing on my todo list, but I thought I'd throw it out here first to see
>if anyone has any other suggestions.

Sometimes (and it's pretty random), configure just will not work out that
it needs -lz for MySQL.  I'd recommend upgrading to MySQL 4 as it's
extremely stable, but it may not fix your issues.  If not, just fire up an
editor, find the LIBS line (will look something like : LIBS = -lmysqlclient
-lcrypt -lnsl -lsocket -lm') and add '-lz' to the end and run make
again.  You may find you need to manually add -lm too, depending on how
configure goes. :)

D.

--
Dom Gallagher (dgallagher@starnetusa.net)
Development Engineering

This message is sent in confidence to the addressees.
It may contain privileged, proprietary, or confidential information.