[tpop3d-discuss]pop before smtp and logging..

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 18:42:41 +0300

* James Gurney <james@globalmegacorp.org> [20040510 10:05]: wrote:
> 2 questions..
>
> 1. Ignoring the fact that pop-before-smtp is the root of all evil, has
> anyone succesfully implemented this with postfix, using the builtin
> system? I've had a look at the relaydbm script, but I must confess my
> perl knowledge is sorely lacking, and if someone else has done this
> already, it would make my life a lot easier, and far better than the
> kludgy system I use now which tail -f's the logfile.

Does Postfix support SASL auth daemon? If it did, you could find easy
life. I searched google for "Postfix+SASL" and got very good hits.
You can run saslauthd with flags "-a rimap -O localhost" to auth against
your IMAP server running on localhost.

> 2. The tpop3d logging is reaaallly noisy. One single mail check appears
> to generate 6 lines of logfile. With multiple users all checking the
> mail on a regular basis (ie, every 2 minutes), the mail log quickly gets
> very big. Realistically, I don't need the current verbosity level. Hell,
> I'd be happy with just logging failed connections. I know this has been
> asked before, but I couldn't find a good answer - is there a way to make
> the logging less noisy? It would be really handy if it was a
> configuration option so you could enable more detailed logging for
> troubleshooting, but leave it nice and quiet for day to day operations.

Are you running tpop3d in debug mode? With -v ??
I think that is what would generate all those lines.
But I am not speaking for Chris!! ;-))

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
						 --from a /. post