[tpop3d-discuss]MailDir & status/info tag woes (latest cvs, solaris 9 sparc)

Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:02:10 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

A customer is having issues with the latest version of tpop3d marking all
maildir messages as seen regardless of whether the messages have been
touched (RETR, TOP, LIST, etc) or not. We are planning on migrating them
from mbox/vmpop3d to maildir/tpop3d, but this is a showstopper.

$ cat /usr/local/etc/tpop3d.conf
listen-address:         127.0.0.1:44574(domain2.com) \
                        127.0.0.1:44573(domain.com) \
                        127.0.0.1:44572

mailbox:                maildir:/usr/local/mail/spool/$(domain)/$(local_part)

max-children:           128
log-facility:           mail
append-domain:          yes
authcache-enable:       yes
log-bad-passwords:      yes

auth-flatfile-enable:           yes
auth-flatfile-passwd-file:      /usr/local/mail/conf/$(domain)/passwd
auth-flatfile-mail-user:        25
auth-flatfile-mail-group:       6

$ ls -1R /usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test
/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test:
cur
new
tmp

/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test/cur:

/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test/new:
1080766597.00000.dev,S=4084
1080766597.00001.dev,S=1890
1080766597.00002.dev,S=3220
1080766597.00003.dev,S=1992
1080766597.00004.dev,S=2463

/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test/tmp:
$ telnet 127.0.0.1 44573
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <a33dbba703b6987ca757a11604fda683@domain.com>
user test
+OK Tell me your password.
pass test
+OK Welcome aboard! You have 5 messages.
QUIT
+OK Done
Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed by foreign host.
$ ls -1R /usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test
/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test:
cur
new
tmp

/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test/cur:
1080766597.00000.dev,S=4084:2,S
1080766597.00001.dev,S=1890:2,S
1080766597.00002.dev,S=3220:2,S
1080766597.00003.dev,S=1992:2,S
1080766597.00004.dev,S=2463:2,S

/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test/new:

/usr/local/mail/spool/domain.com/test/tmp:

The ,S=blah tag that you see in the filenames is a file size tag that our
MTA (Exim, http://www.exim.org/) adds to the filename for quota support.
This problem occurs with and without that tag present, so that is not the
cause.

Another issue we are having is that tpop3d seems to ignore empty info
fields(:2,), and appends its own. We sometimes manipulate spools using
perl scripts with the module Mail::Box. This module chooses to add an info
field to all of the messages even if it has no flags to add, example
1080766597.00003.dev,S=1992:2,

The next time a user logs in and takes any action, even an immediate
logout, tpop3d appends its own info tag to the filename:
1080766597.00003.dev,S=1992:2,:2,S

Has anyone else run into this issue before? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

    -J