Oops Re: [tpop3d-discuss] Looking for resources

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:50:25 +0000

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:38:44PM +0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> Oops--  I just found the auth_pgsql stuff.  It is in the man page but not in
> the README.

ah, ok. I'll fix that....

> Still looking at how to build a mailbox driver for messages in the database.
> THis could be interesting.

yes... In POP3 there's a distinction between sending the
headers of the message and the (first N lines of) the
message itself. I'm guessing you're supporting more
sophisticated applications (IMAP server?) with your
schema, so you'll probably be parsing the message out in
the database. You may have to stick it back together
again....

> Finally 1 more question:
>
> If I am authenticating using PostgreSQL and retrieving my messages from the
> database, I shouldn't need any special privaleges.  Is there any
> documentation regarding running this via chroot and or under a more
> restricted UID?  I am thinking that the process changes its UID and/or GID
> after forking, so this may not be possible.

A few users have done this with private patches, and
incorporating these is on the to-do list, but I haven't
got round to it yet, unfortunately.

Of course, you'll need to apply care with the database
connections when you fork....

--
``Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.'' (Groucho Marx)