[tpop3d-discuss] Long login delay

Ian Armstrong  ika at expressmail.dk
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:10:09 +0100 (CET)

On 12-Jan-2004, Chris Lightfoot <chris@ex-parrot.com> wrote:

|On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 05:47:24PM +0100, Ian Armstrong  wrote:
|> Hi all,
|>
|> I think I understand now why tpop3d takes so much longer than Courier
|> log in.
|> I am using the "auth-mysql-onlogin-query:" field to update my database
|> with the login time, the "now()" command. tpop3d is the only pop3
server,
|> to my knowledge, that has this feature, and this is the reason I
changed
|> to tpop3d. But the problem seems to be (correct me if I am guessing
here),
|> that tpop3d updates this field every time it reads an email. Therefore,
if
|> there are 500 messages in the queue, the database is updated 500
times.
|> The result is: a long login delay.
|
|No, only when you log in. Is it possible that your web
|mail client is logging in numerous times to read each
|mail? What happens if you turn off the onlogin query? Does
|that speed it up?

|--
|``I won't let you in until you explain the ending of the movie.''
|  (unknown US immigration officer, to Arthur C. Clarke, 1969)

|tpop3d-discuss mailing list
|tpop3d-discuss@lists.beasts.org

I have 286 messages in my inbox. tpop3d took about 13 seconds to login.
(Courier took 1 second). I then turned the onlogin query off, and tried
again. There was no noticable change in tpop3d's performance. I checked
the code in my webmail client. It only logs in once, reads the messages in
a loop, and saves them to disk. My webmail is not as fast as say, for
example, pine, but this is not the problem. The test between courier and
tpop3d was performed under the same conditions, but with very different
results. The times above are approximate. I took them from Opera, which
shows the time in seconds while searching for sites.
I really need the "onlogin query", but I am disapointed with the
performance loss.

Ian.

Ian Armstrong
ika@expressmail.dk