[tpop3d-discuss] Duplicate emails/client timeouts

Matthew Trent mtrent at localaccess.com
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:44:56 -0800

On Friday 16 January 2004 3:49 pm, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 04:29:41PM -0800, Matthew Trent wrote:
> > Still getting a lot of complaints (including one from my boss, which is
> > why I'm posting about this again <g>) about duplicate emails and "clogs"
> > (as we've grown to call them). Only happens with MS mail clients. They
> > all seem to match up with a "net_loop: timed out client" message in the
> > tpop logs. Sometimes it seems to clear itself up, sometimes we have to go
> > in and delete emails for users to get email flowing again. It doesn't
> > seem to be duplicateable, and there isn't any particular pattern (not all
> > messages with attachments or certain strings in messages or anything I
> > can think of).
>
> What timeout have you set? Have you tried raising it?

Well of course as soon as I sent the message that idea occurred to me... Not
sure why I didn't think of it or it wasn't suggested during our previous
thread.

According to the man page the timeout value isn't RFC-compliant. I changed it
to be so. I also upped the timeout_seconds in netloop.c. I didn't really
analyze the code to see how the config file timeout setting is related to the
one in netloop.c, if at all. Can you enlighten me (I've gone home for the
day...)?
--
Matthew Trent
Systems Administrator