[tpop3d-discuss] Long login delay

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:51:09 +0000

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 05:47:24PM +0100, Ian Armstrong=A0 wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I think I understand now why tpop3d takes so much longer than Courier t=
> log in.
> I am using the "auth-mysql-onlogin-query:" field to update my database
> with the login time, the "now()" command. tpop3d is the only pop3 serve=
r,
> to my knowledge, that has this feature, and this is the reason I change=
> to tpop3d. But the problem seems to be (correct me if I am guessing her=
e),
> that tpop3d updates this field every time it reads an email. Therefore,=
 if
> there are 500 messages in the queue, the database is updated 500 times.
> The result is: a long login delay.

No, only when you log in. Is it possible that your web
mail client is logging in numerous times to read each
mail? What happens if you turn off the onlogin query? Does
that speed it up?

--=20
``I won't let you in until you explain the ending of the movie.''
  (unknown US immigration officer, to Arthur C. Clarke, 1969)