[tpop3d-discuss] My mods - will they break anything?

mark@christian.net mark at christian.net
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:30:03 -0800

I've switched from Qpopper to tpop3d, mainly for the
different auth methods and maildir support.  One thing
Qpopper does is to rewrite the mailbox adding a Status:
to indicate that messages were read, which is useful
for us because our webmail app uses this info.

So I made some minor mods to tpop3d as follows:

- A message stays in 'new' until an actual RETR
  command is issued for it.  TOP and other commands
  are not sufficient to mark a message as 'read'.

- Once retrieved via RETR, a message is moved into
  'cur' as before.

- The sendmessage function inserts a "Status: R" line
  when sending the headers, if the message is in "cur".

- The message itself is never actually rewritten.

This seems to work just fine, and our webmail app now
keeps better track of read vs. unread messages.

I'm wondering what side-effects, if any, there might be
from this?

Mark