[tpop3d-discuss]listen-address question

Dave Baker dave at dsb3.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:48:47 -0500

> I am trying to understand the listen-address: parameter in tpop3d.conf. At
> the moment I have "listen-address: 0.0.0.0", which, as I understand it,
> allows all connections on the default port of 110. If I change this to
> "listen-address: 127.0.0.1" will this limit connections to only my
> localhost? I want my users to use web-mail only, instead of their own
> e-mail clients.

Depending on how the rest of your system is configured, I would think it
preferable to just close tcp/110 with local firewall rules.

Actually, if you don't want public (remote) POP3 access the port should be
firewalled off *anyway*.

This way you open yourself to more flexibility in the future for (random
example) perhaps splitting the web and mail servers to different machines
where "localhost" no longer has the same, special meaning.

Just one opinion ...

Dave

--

-    Dave Baker      :      dave@dsb3.com      :      http://dsb3.com/    -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D