[tpop3d-discuss]virtual hosting: /etc/hosts mapping or inverse name resolution??? please help

Dave Baker dave at dsb3.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:45:20 -0400

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:49:23PM +1200, PhilG wrote:
> Yeah, without a problem I can get it to work with a different IP address for
> each host name but I have a many domains on the server which are on the same
> IP... This must be common for virtual hosters.
>
> Is there no way to do this? It seems like such a common thing to do....

The user has to provide the domain.

There's no other way -- the connection takes place to an IP address, not
to a hostname.  (rather, if it takes place to a hostname, that information
is left behind at the client's end).

Consider how HTTP virtual hosting works - it's by the client sending an
extra header "Host: whatever.com" that tells the server what hostname was
requested, independent of the server knowing what IP was connected to.

Dave

--

-    Dave Baker      :      dave@dsb3.com      :      http://dsb3.com/    -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D