[tpop3d-discuss]virtual hosting: /etc/hosts mapping or inverse name resolution??? please help

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:25:15 +0100

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:29:11AM +1200, PhilG wrote:
> Thanks for your response Mike..
>
> Okay I tried setting up the /etc/host.conf with the following line:
>
> order hosts,bind
>
> And have setup domains in the /etc/hosts file in the following format:
>
> 127.0.0.1            localhost.localdomain         localhost
> XX.XX.XX.48    domain.com                      mail.domain.com
> XX.XX.XX.48    domain1.com                    mail.domain1.com
> XX.XX.XX.48    domain2.com                    mail.domain2.com
> XX.XX.XX.48    domain3.com                    mail.domain3.com
> XX.XX.XX.48    domain4.com                    mail.domain4.com
> XX.XX.XX.48    domain5.com                    mail.domain5.com
>
> The XX.XX.XX.48 is all the same IP, I have tried reversing it also so the
> mail. is in front... However when I connect and watch the logs it always
> defaults to the first domain on the list (eg domain.com).

No, this won't work.

The idea of the `mass virtual hosting' option is that if
you have (say) a machine which answers requests for 1,000
different IP addresses, each with a different assigned
hostname, you don't need to tell tpop3d to listen on each
address explicitly; instead, it looks up the name
associated with the IP address to which the connection is
made, and infers the domain from that (using the regex you
supply).

But in your case, all the connections are coming in on the
same address, XX.XX.XX.48, so tpop3d has no way to figure
out which domain a user wants. I'm afraid you'll have to
ask users to log in with their username and domain....

--
``Murder is always a mistake.... One should never do anything which
  one cannot talk about after dinner.'' (Wilde)