[tpop3d-discuss]virtual hosting: /etc/hosts mapping or inverse name resolution??? please help

PhilG philg at 4dwebhosting.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:29:11 +1200

Thanks for your response Mike..

Okay I tried setting up the /etc/host.conf with the following line:

order hosts,bind

And have setup domains in the /etc/hosts file in the following format:

127.0.0.1            localhost.localdomain         localhost
XX.XX.XX.48    domain.com                      mail.domain.com
XX.XX.XX.48    domain1.com                    mail.domain1.com
XX.XX.XX.48    domain2.com                    mail.domain2.com
XX.XX.XX.48    domain3.com                    mail.domain3.com
XX.XX.XX.48    domain4.com                    mail.domain4.com
XX.XX.XX.48    domain5.com                    mail.domain5.com

The XX.XX.XX.48 is all the same IP, I have tried reversing it also so the
mail. is in front... However when I connect and watch the logs it always
defaults to the first domain on the list (eg domain.com).

If you (or anyone else) has any more suggestions about whats wrong I would
love to hear them.

Off Topic: I also had some major problems with auth-flatfile and that was
that all my loggins were failing because it wasnt actually reading the
correct file... This was because I didnt have append-domain: true... and
when i specified auth-flatfile-passwd-file:
/home/mail/domains/$(domain)/mailauth it was defaulting to the servers
hostname (similar to my current problem.)