[tpop3d-discuss]virtual hosting: /etc/hosts mapping or inverse name resolution??? please help

PhilG philg at 4dwebhosting.com
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:41:39 +1200

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this problem with tpop3d 1.7.3

I have configured tpop3d with auth --enable-auth-flatfile and
auth-flatfile-passwd-file points to /home/mail/$(domain)/passwd

But as the logs show every time i connect the $(domain) is replaced by the
server hostname instead of the virtual domain (which is using a shared IP
address). Now I have been reading the manual over and over and found this:

[quote]
listen-address: 0.0.0.0/^pop3\.(.*)$/

to accept incoming connections and  associate  them with  the  proper
domains.   Note that for this to work, all interfaces on which connections
are to be accepted must have functioning inverse name resolution; also, in
this case, tpop3d  will  do  a  name lookup  for  each  incoming
connection,  which may block in the event of a DNS failure. You  may  wish
to   create   some  other  mapping  --  perhaps  in /etc/hosts -- to ensure
that this does not occur.
[end quote]

So how do I setup the /etc/hosts map? or the inverse name resolution? has
anyone had this problem?

Thanks,
Phil