[tpop3d-discuss] Another MySQL question

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:06:55 +0100

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:57:31PM +0200, Allan Joergensen wrote:
> On 07-Sep-2003, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
>
> > OK. We grab the UID of the user because we might want to
> > use their home directory later in a substitution string.
> > Since creating a passwd entry isn't much work, I don't
> > think this is worth changing.
>
> But it really defeats the purpose of using *SQL to hold the user
> information.

No. After all, the UID can be the same for all database
users. And using UIDs alone without recording them in
/etc/passwd strikes me as poor practice -- what happens if
somebody later creates a user with UID 5029 for some other
purpose?

--
``DO NOT perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation....''
  (EPA emergency care advice for victims of the nerve gas sarin)