[tpop3d-discuss] Help with incorrect received date on microsoft clients

Dave Baker dave at dsb3.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:34:25 -0500

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 06:22:32PM +0200, Leon Botes wrote:
> System is freebsd 4.7 with up to date sources.
> Mailer is exim 4.24 with mysql
> Pop3 server is TPOP3D 1.5.2
>
> System was exim 4.10 and tpop3d 1.4.2 before upgrade

Can you roll back one or the other (I expect tpop3d is easier) to identify
which one caused the difference in behaviour?

Honestly, I expect exim to be responsible because tpop3d doesn't edit/add
any message headers ... it just reads them off disk and sends them off on
the wire.

Did anything change in your exim config during the upgrade?  If not,
perhaps the exim changelog might indicate a change in default behaviour
for some of the headers?

> After upgrade of exim and tpop3d clients using outlook or outlook express
> with versions less than 5.5 have the received date of all emails showing 4th
> October 2001.

Can you cut/paste some example mail headers exactly (as read from the mail
spool).  Perhaps they're slightly mangled ...

> The mail is received by exim and dropped correctly into the users mailbox.
> Viewing the mailbox file contents shows no reference to this date only
> correct date headers.

Which header(s) are showing the date?  I wonder if they *look* correct but
are either mildly syntactically invalid or stumble into an outlook date
parsing bug.

Dave

--

-    Dave Baker      :      dave@dsb3.com      :      http://dsb3.com/    -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D