[tpop3d-discuss] Wierd problem with received date on the mail clients

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:37:18 +0100

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 05:32:00PM +0200, Leon Botes wrote:
> FreeBSD 4.7
> TPOP3D 1.5.2
>
> Installed from the freebsd ports today.
>
> Certain mail clients some using outlook and others outlook express have all
> their emails that are received showing a received date of 04/10/2001 in
> dd/mm/yyyy format.
>
> I have checked the mail while its still in the mail spool directory and the
> dates there are correct.
> However as soon as the client draws it the above date appears in his
> received column.
> I am using outlook and mine and others work fine.
> Just these couple of clients have this problem.
> Mailer is exim 4.24 with mysql.
> I am using mysql auth if that helps and am posting my tpop3d.conf
>
> listen-address: 0.0.0.0
> max-children: 50
> append-domain: yes
> auth-mysql-enable: yes
> auth-mysql-mail-group: mail
> auth-mysql-hostname: localhost
> auth-mysql-database: ispman
> auth-mysql-username: root
> auth-mysql-password: 12RemembeR
> auth-mysql-pass-query: SELECT CONCAT('/var/mail/', '$(local_part)'),
> CONCAT('{plaintext}', password), 'mailnull' , 'bsd' FROM mailboxes WHERE
> username ='$(local_part)'
>
> ANY suggestions?

I'd be surprised if this were a tpop3d problem, as it
doesn't actually alter mail in any way when it's
downloaded. You can check quite easily, though. Do:

$ telnet name-of-pop-server-machine pop-3
+OK <somestuff>
USER username
+OK ...
PASS password
+OK ...
RETR 1
+OK ...
    [ text of message ]
QUIT
+OK

-- and see if the date is OK in the received message.

--
Space Food Hideous -- But It Costs A Lot
(newspaper headline)