[tpop3d-discuss] Peculiar bug. 1.5.2 with TLS crashes on occasion.

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:02:00 +0100

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:57:51PM -0400, Dave Baker wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:43:46PM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 08:39:13PM -0400, Dave Baker wrote:
> >
> > [ I've tried to reproduce this with the data you've
> >   supplied, but can't yet. ]
>
> For reference, can I ask what OS, openssl, etc you tested on?

So far, only on my local Linux machine with OpenSSL
0.9.6b. I'm a bit snowed under at the moment and haven't
time for more extensive testing.

> > I'd be interested to know whether compiling it with a different library
> > version makes any difference in your configuration.
> >

> I recompiled it against 0.9.6k (static library) and also 0.9.7c (static
> library).  Both of these new compiles still exhibit the same problem.
>
> *HOWEVER* I was able to determine that they only exhibit the problem if
> I'm connecting from another machine.  If I connect over loopback then they
> work fine.  I also retested my original configuration (dynamically linked
> 0.9.7c) and it also works fine over loopback.
>

> So, does that give any clues??

Yes, but I don't know what they mean yet, I'm afraid.

Out of interest, could you try tlsproxyd and see whether
it exhibits the same behaviour?

--
Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told (newspaper headline)