[tpop3d-discuss] Webmail error

Matthew Trent mtrent at localaccess.com
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:32:06 -0800

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 10:28 am, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > I still noticed, after downgrading to 1.5.2 the same error in the tpop3d
> > logs: Nov 26 10:11:21 mail2 tpop3d[1133]: net_loop: timed out client
> > [6]test@xxxxxx.net(216.6.xx.xx)
> >
> > Yet the webmail pops up fine.
>
> -- and it didn't under 1.5.3?

Correct.

> Um. There's nothing wrong with this transaction. The
> client logs in, asks for a unique-ID list, and then does
> nothing for thirty seconds. The connection is then timed
> out (it's an odd coincidence that the client disconnects
> at the same time, admittedly).

Right. I thought perhaps the reason the client does nothing is because it's
been confused by something it received.

> What does the log look like from 1.5.2 opening an empty
> mailbox? What error does the web mail program log?

I didn't run 1.5.2 with -v, but minus the extra verbosity, it looked the same
as with 1.5.3. The webmail reports a meaningless hex code.

> I suspect that the vopmail people are misinterpreting
> something, but since I can't get the code there's no way
> to tell. It could be another packet fragmentation thing,
> but that hasn't changed between 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 for UIDL

I have no doubt the error is with Vopmail (the same goes for the Opera
problem). However, as sometimes it is desirable to work around those types of
(corner-case) things, I thought I'd throw it out here...

BTW, it appears the change to the message date-checking code in CVS causes no
messages to show up at all.
--
Matt
Systems Administrator