[tpop3d-discuss] Mail 'read' status

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:55:59 -0800

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> tpop3d doesn't alter the status headers of mail. It does,
> however, allow the modification time of the mailbox to be
> updated. If I remember rightly, wu-imapd makes some
> complicated attempt to restore the modification time on
> the mailbox to its value at the beginning of the session,
> which is completely broken. It is possible that this is
> responsible for the difference in behaviour.
>
> Which ailbxo format are you using?

Plain old mbox format. I tried a test by sending a mail, reading it,
then using touch to update the file modified date. It was still marked
as read when I re-opened pine, so I'm not sure that's necessarily the
problem.

I should also mention that so far, I've been unable to reproduce the
original problem in my testing (although I've seen it happen with the
user's mailbox). The only part that I'm not testing is the removal of
messages more than n days old, so it might well have something to do
with that. I'll test that next.

James