[tpop3d-discuss] Opera and tpop3d

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:07:58 +0000

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:50:14PM -0800, Matthew Trent wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 11:56 am, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > hmm. I've now tried this with Opera 7.23 (just downloaded
> > from opera.com), and it works fine with CVS tpop3d. Which
> > version of tpop3d are you using?
>
> Ok, the CVS does work with Opera. Problem solved. Thanks much!

jolly good. I should figure out what broke it, I
suppose....

> One more thing, while I'm at it...
>
> I read a thread on the mailing list about how tpop3d checks the time of a
> message file and won't return messages from the future. I'm using NFS and we
> ran into that when NTP died for some reason and the clocks got off. We
> figured it out pretty quick and once the clocks were synced again it worked
> fine, but I did follow the suggestion in that thread about removing the time
> check in maildir.c. The posts seemed to indicate they weren't sure why that
> check was added, but then the thread died. I thought I would bring it up
> again. Is that something that might be better disabled by default?

hmm. The embarrassing truth is that neither Paul
Makepeace, who wrote the code, nor I, who integrated it
into the main distribution, know why the check is there.
Paul said that it came from qmail-pop3d, and wasn't
commented there, and I seemed to think it was sensible at
the time. I can't now see why it would be useful.

I've now changed maildir.c to log a warning and use the
message, even if it has a future mtime.

--
``Life was simple before World War II. After that, we had systems.''
  (Grace Hopper)