[tpop3d-discuss] TLS status

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:23:40 +0100

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:18:35PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A user has requested "secure access" to their email and I thus began
> wondering what the status of TLS/SSL support in tpop3d was. I've read
> thru' the Jan 2002 thread which seems to end in talk of tlsproxyd -- but
> tpop3d in CVS seems to support it. (?) Google isn't showing much for
> tpop3d+tls
>
> In particular I'd be delighted to hear of experiences with how it's
> deployed (e.g. tpop3d.conf & command line invocations to forge
> cerificates, etc), how it plays with real life MUAs and what else to
> expect. Having wasted five hours of my life debugging SMTP AUTH with
> various MS Outlook variants and discovering a key piece of info that
> would've saved that time I'd rather ask here than start a lonely path of
> experimentation.

The simple answer is that TLS support is in the current
prerelease version of tpop3d and works. But the last time
there was a serious discussion of this, there were some
possible bugs in the buffering code. I believe that these
have been fixed, but am not certain, and it's a while
since I've looked at it. (As you can tell, I've been
rather busy for the last few months....)

There were some MUA issues, but I think most of them are
now sorted out.

The stuff is documented in the latest man pages.

... and the prerelease versions of tpop3d are, of course,
prereleases.

--
``If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little
  of robbing; and from robbing he next comes to drinking and Sabbath-breaking,