[tpop3d-discuss] Maildir locking, to prevent more than 1 simultaneous access?

Rich, WhidbeyNet NOC richs at whidbey.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:08:40 -0800

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 09:43:34AM -0800, Rich, WhidbeyNet NOC wrote:
> > Chris, List,
> >
> > "I'll put in an option to lock the maildir, and make tpop3d
> error if
> > the message has already been deleted."
> >
> > I'm glad I wasn't overlooking something obvious. We really
> appreciate
> > your work Chris!!
>
> I'm implementing this in the CVS version, but there are
> enough changes that I don't think the patch will apply to
> 1.4.2. Are you using the CVS version or the release one? In
> the latter case I'll do a minimal patch against 1.4.2

We're using the 1.4.2 release. A locking dir should be good. We NFS
mount "/var/mail" so can make a "/var/mail/poplock" directory
world-writable, so each machine can use it. Our out qpopper evidently
wrote these lock files to /var/mail itself.

It's not really serious enough that we need a patch for 1.4.2, but we'd
be glad to download the latest CVS on our test server and try it out
there when you're done implementing it. We need to install the CVS
whenever it becomes stable anyway, to fix the minor Eudora "overlap
commands" issue.

Rich Sandberg
richs@whidbey.net
WhidbeyNet Network Operations