[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d, version 1.5.1pre2

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:55:06 +0000

v1.5.1pre2 is a pre-release version. It has even less
warranty than regular tpop3d (which has none at all).

You can obtain this pre-release from

    http://ex-parrot.com/~chris/tpop3d/tpop3d-1.5.1pre2.tar.gz

or from CVS as described on the tpop3d web page.

If you have sent me a patch or suggestion and I haven't
responded, please drop me an email.

Changes so far:

1.5.1

tpop3d now supports the WHOSON protocol (http://whoson.sourceforge.net/) for
POP-before-SMTP relaying, thanks to Arkadiusz Miskiewicz.

Added support for `mass virtual hosting', where the domain name used for a
connection is based upon the name associated with the address to which a client
connects.

Improved the clarity of the documentation slightly. tpop3d now obeys
configure's --sysconfdir option.

Improved the performance of the mailspool parser. Also, tpop3d will now remove
a stale lock files for mailspools.

Added an option to lock maildirs when accessing them, and fixed the maildir
code to cope with cases where a message file is moved or deleted during a
session.

Fixed a problem in the command parsing code which could cause problems with
Eudora's command pipelining; thanks to Shin Zukeran for this fix. Also
incorporated a patch from Jonathan Oddy to fix a pipelining problem with bad
clients.

Fixed a minor problem in the PAM code, thanks to Christian Nordmann, and also
added facility to use auth-pam for authenticating users who have no UNIX
account, based on his patch. Added a nasty (but optional) hack to auth-pam to
work around memory leaks in buggy PAM implementations.

Added scripts/tpop3dtraffic, which extracts the identity of the heaviest POP3
users from logfiles.

Added a permit-empty-passwords option, default no, largely to protect LDAP
users who left LDAP anonymous authentication switched on....

The I/O layer was rewritten to use non-blocking I/O throughout. Support for TLS
was added. Connections are now frozen briefly after a failed authentication
using code adapted from a contribution by Yann Grossel, who also contributed
support for MySQL server failover for auth-mysql; a consequence of this is that
MySQL usernames and passwords are no longer cleared from memory by tpop3d.
Also fixed a bug which could cause a crash if there were NULL values in a
database being used by auth-mysql.

Various code tidyings-up.

--
Midget psychic escapes prison: small medium at large