[tpop3d-discuss] Tpop 1.4.2 memory leak?: fork_child: fork: Not enough space

Rich, WhidbeyNET richs at whidbey.net
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:37:57 -0800

Today during our maintenance window, we implemented tpop3d on 2
production Sun Ultra 10's which each have 512mb memory. Each machine
handles about 3 pop3 sessions per second.

Both machines ran fine for 6.5 hours, before the tpop3d daemon could no
longer fork child processes. All remaining connections were
"disconnected" safely by tpop3d, and tpop3d continued to run, but would
no longer answer requests on port 110. The last error in the log was:

"fork_child: fork: Not enough space"

A vmstat on the machine showed that there was plenty of system memory
available AFTER the tpop3d stopped responding. Disk space was also less
than 10% consumed.

 From looking at the code, the error is generated from a -1 return code
when trying to call fork().  Has enyone encountered a memory leak with
tpop3d, and has it been corrected in the CVS?

This is pretty serious, as it affected two Solaris 9 machines at the
same time, so it's unlikely a machine-specific problem. We were/are
ready to implement tpop3d systemwide.

Thanks as usual for any info! Chris? :)

Rich Sandberg
richs@whidbey.net