[tpop3d-discuss] Ways to reduce log level?

Rich richs at whidbey.net
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:49:01 -0800

Dear list,

We recently began implementing tpop3d after working with it a test
environment.

However, our production systems average 3 POP3 sessions a second. A
daemonized tpop3d, even without -v, generates around 5 entries in syslog
via "mail.info", and often a few by "mail.debug", for every session. It
also generates a line for every message it sends to someone. This is
filling up our syslogs pretty fast.

Having just implemented tpop3d, we want to know it's working. However,
this high level of logging is unnecessary, especially since we're not
running in debug or verbose. Is there a way to set a "log level" for
tpop3d; instead of just off or on? Just knowing that a user checked
their mail, a single line, would be plenty.

Thanks for any advice!

Rich Sandberg
richs@whidbey.net
Network Administrator