[tpop3d-discuss] APOP from flat files

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:17:58 +0000

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:47:44AM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > After I sent you those patches I realised the system I'm doing this all
> > for uses /etc/passwd to verify the user exists & divine their uid/gid,
> > and then consults some other database (G?DBM as explained) for the
> > passwords. This is qpopper's behaviour.
>     [...]
> > So first obvious thing that occurs to me an APOP database directive that
> > is possibly prefixed with something like exim's dbm; syntax.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> (a) that's horrid.

What do you think is horrid?

I thought this too admittedly, initially imbued with the concepts of
tpop3d. But looking from outside, how else would one implement APOP with
shell users?

This is hardly a far fetched situation... In fact for most sites wanting
APOP that are running off /etc/passwd this I bet this *is* the most
likely situation.

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is my name, mofo? Don't know. Must be the drugs."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/