[tpop3d-discuss] APOP from flat files

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:47:44 +0000

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 03:50:30AM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:49:42PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > >
> > > Still wondering here - what are the data sources available for those
> > > wanting APOP?
> >
> > No, you're correct: there's no support in any of the other
> > authenticators. There's an example auth-other script in
> > scripts/ to allow individual UNIX users to authenticate
> > against a password ~/.mailauth or similar.
>
> After I sent you those patches I realised the system I'm doing this all
> for uses /etc/passwd to verify the user exists & divine their uid/gid,
> and then consults some other database (G?DBM as explained) for the
> passwords. This is qpopper's behaviour.
    [...]
> So first obvious thing that occurs to me an APOP database directive that
> is possibly prefixed with something like exim's dbm; syntax.
>
> Thoughts?

(a) that's horrid.

(b) it's also what auth-perl/other are for, I think.

It would be worth putting in if this were a common case,
but it's a bit nasty and special case. But a script to
implement it would be welcome :)

--
``Pray: v, To ask that the laws of the Universe
  be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner,