[tpop3d-discuss] Outlook Clients not Removing mail from the server

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:53:25 +0000

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:55:31AM -0800, Matthew Trent wrote:

> I have heard reports of that same thing, but I've dismissed them as
> misconfigured clients or something. Today I got one from an employee at our
> other office using Outlook. She sent a message from home to herself and then
> got it like 7 times at work. In the tpop3d logs I saw...
>
> Dec  9 09:26:52 mail2 tpop3d[11193]: net_loop: timed out client
> [6]username(69.10.xx.xx)
>
> ... repeated many times for her username. In the logs I saw a few other users
> with the same error repeated.

Any chance of more information on that? In particular, log
entries with -v enabled?

> The message she was trying to retrieve was like 2.5mb of pictures. I looked in
> her maildir and it was still in her 'new' folder (versus 'cur'), even though
> she'd received it several times. I think perhaps the connection keeps timing
> out right at the end, so she gets the message, but tpop3d gets an error and
> keeps the message in 'new'.

the difference between new/ and cur/ isn't really relevant
here. tpop3d tries to move retrieved messages into cur/ so
that it plays nicely with software which actually cares
about the difference, but it's unlikely to make any odds
here.

Clients decide which messages to download either by
downloading all messages and then deleting them, or by
recording the UIDs of the messages and retrieving only
those they haven't seen.

--
``It has only to do with the respect with which we regard one another, the
  dignity of men, our love of culture.... It has nothing to do directly with