[tpop3d-discuss] Outlook Clients not Removing mail from the server

Matthew Trent mtrent at localaccess.com
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:22:03 -0800

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 11:25 am, you wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I've seen that behaviour where the connection is interupted at some point,
> so the client dosn't issue the command to delete the messages. The messages
> are then re-retrieved.
>
> In the logs that I do have access to though the connection is established,
> messages read, connection is properly disconnected.
>
> Dave Galbraith

(replying on-list in case it's relevant)

If the client disconnected after fully receiving the message, but just didn't
have a chance to delete it, I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong) the message
would still be moved to the 'cur' directory (if maildir). I'm thinking, in
the case of the employee report today, that the connection dies during the
last bytes of the actual message transfer (since the person *does* get the
message in their client). That would produce different results than a timeout
after the message is finished, and tpop is waiting for another command,
right? Is this some kind of weird Outlook thing?
--
Matt
Systems Administrator