[tpop3d-discuss] Outlook Clients not Removing mail from the server

Matthew Trent mtrent at localaccess.com
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:55:31 -0800

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 10:47 am, Rugger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a tech for a service provider who has switched from qpop to tpop3d
> version 1.5.1.
>
> I knew clients would recieve duplicate emails after the switch was made due
> to the UIDL's changing, but some of the clients are experiencing issues
> whereby the mail is not being removed from the server after they've checked
> for mail. The next time they check the mail is re-retrieved.
>
> The majority of the clients appear to be Microsoft Outlook Build 10.0.3416,
> and a couple of Microsoft Exchange Servers which were configured to
> retrieve mail from individual pop boxes on the server.
>
> Before I ask an administrator to increase the logging level and send me the
> logs, I thought I'd see if anyone has run into a similar problem.
>
> Dave Galbraith

I have heard reports of that same thing, but I've dismissed them as
misconfigured clients or something. Today I got one from an employee at our
other office using Outlook. She sent a message from home to herself and then
got it like 7 times at work. In the tpop3d logs I saw...

Dec  9 09:26:52 mail2 tpop3d[11193]: net_loop: timed out client
[6]username(69.10.xx.xx)

... repeated many times for her username. In the logs I saw a few other users
with the same error repeated.

The message she was trying to retrieve was like 2.5mb of pictures. I looked in
her maildir and it was still in her 'new' folder (versus 'cur'), even though
she'd received it several times. I think perhaps the connection keeps timing
out right at the end, so she gets the message, but tpop3d gets an error and
keeps the message in 'new'.
--
Matt
Systems Administrator