[tpop3d-discuss] Lockfile problems..

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:59:55 +0000

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 04:33:56PM -0800, James Gurney wrote:
> This morning in my spool folder, I noticed the following files:
>
> -r--r-----    1 dean     mail            0 Dec  1 02:28
> dean.18998.1070274490.devious

> The syslog contains:

What is dean's quota like?

> Dec  1 02:28:10 devious tpop3d[18998]: dotfile_lock(/var/mail/dean):
> unable to write PID to hitching post: No space left on device

> Ideas?

If you don't need .lock support, switch it off and use
fcntl locking only. Otherwise be prepared to put up with
occasional flakiness. It's not as if a .lock is a very
sensible mutual exclusion primitive anyway.

--
``Stupidity is like nuclear power: it can be used for good and evil
  And, you don't want to get any of it on you.'' (from `Dilbert')