[tpop3d-discuss] bulletins

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:59:12 +0100

    [ to list as this is of general interest ]

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 07:40:29PM +0300, ODHIAMBO Washington wrote:

> The only thing that I haven't gotten up is the bulletins stuff, because of
> undefined subroutine, which is surely something that enters the left ear and
> leaves by the right immediately. When it comes to perl, "i have nothing btn
> my ears" ;)
> I wanted to test the bulletins thing to use for mass-mailing, announcements,
> etc..

You should be able to get bulletins working as follows:

    - Copy the perl subroutine onlogin_bulletins_handler
      out of README.bulletins into a file (say,
      /etc/mail/bulletins.pl). Note that there is a small
      error in that file; you need to change the line that
      reads

        $recips{$r} = 1;

      to read

        $rr{$r} = 1;

    - Add the following to your tpop3d config file:

        onlogin-child-wait: true
        auth-perl-enable: true
        auth-perl-start: do '/etc/mail/bulletins.pl';
        auth-perl-onlogin: onlogin_bulletins_handler

    - Create a directory /etc/mail/bulletins.

    - Restart tpop3d.

    - Create a test bulletin file in /etc/mail/bulletins.
      It can have any name ending `.msg', and it should be
      formatted as a straight RFC822 message suitable for
      feeding to sendmail -oi.

    - Log in and check whether the message gets delivered.

--
Knowledge is power -- Power corrupts -- Study hard -- Be evil!