[patch] Creating new index files (was Re: [tpop3d-discuss] SIGBUS)

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:20:42 +0100

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:10:29PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 05:31:55PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > Coincidentally(?) I'm also seeing a lot of errors issuing from
> > there, typically
> >
> > [snip]
> > Aug  6 17:23:36 mythix tpop3d[10416]: mailspool_load_index(<index2>): No such file or directory
>
> This patch (or at least the idea of it) suppresses these warnings when
> the file hasn't been created yet, and forces the index to be created
> when it's not there. The pervasion of current warnings can arise
> AFAICS from a zero length mailbox being checked repeatedly but because
> there are no new messages it repeatedly isn't created, gobbling /var,
> and agitating me.
>
> (Maybe could have a LOG_{INFO,DEBUG} to say it's not there but scheduled
> for creation.)
    [...]

OK. I've now incorporated this.

> Paul, has a mild fetish about reducing >= LOG_WARNING

Me, I think the solution is a syslogd with regex matching.
One must exist, I guess? Also a web-browser interface for
grubbing through logs, matching up messages etc. Probably
SQL would be involved here somewhere. Oh dear, it all
sounds really bad....

--
``Self-barbering became practicable when the crisp,
  tapered look of the '50s gave way to shaggier styles.''