[tpop3d-discuss] RE: LDAP Authentication

prune prune at lecentre.net
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:23:16 +0200

--------------060303040605000809080209

Hi,

I have not been working with tpop3d since last year, but as I can
remember, try something like :
auth-ldap-searchdn: dc=mye-znet.com,o=mye-znet
as the searchDN is the start of where you are looking for entries

auth-ldap-filter: is the attribut that is checked. if it matches with
the supplied login, the entry is considered good, so :

auth-ldap-filter: uid

finaly, the
auth-ldap-username and auth-ldap-password shoud reflect to the user used
to bind to the ldap server and do the search :

auth-ldap-username: cn=mailadmin, dc=mye-znet.com,o=mye-znet
auth-ldap-password: secret

of course, the mailadmin user must have search privileges on the DN.

Have a look at the tpop3d doc. As far as I remember it is well
maintained and fully understandable if you take some time to read it,
and read some ldap stuffs.
I'll try (will be hard) to re-install latester tpop3d and see how I can
provide more documentation and examples in the doc (ok chris ?)

I don't remeber but check the doc also about append-domain problems....

Finaly, you should really check openldap's logs (debug set to 256 is
good I think, and see what filter is used and which entry are returned.
also, which user is used for binding to the server, if it works or not.....

Cheers,

Prune

Thai Tran wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>	Here is a copy of my tpop3d.conf:
>
>mailbox: maildir:/home/mailspool/$(domain)/$(user)/
>append-domain: yes
>auth-ldap-enable: yes
>auth-ldap-url: ldap://localhost
>auth-ldap-searchdn: o=mye-znet
>auth-ldap-password:
>auth-ldap-filter: <need help with this portion>
>auth-ldap-mailbox-attr: mailMessageStore
>auth-ldap-mail-user: nobody
>auth-ldap-mail-group: nobody
>
>If it is possible for me to change my auth-ldap-filter to make the query
>result in this way, I am sure that it would work:
>	ldap://localhost/dc=$(domain),o=mye-znet??sub?uid=$(local_part)
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks ahead,
>Thai Tran

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi,<br>
I have not been working with tpop3d since last year, but as I can remember,
try something like : <br>
auth-ldap-searchdn: dc=mye-znet.com,o=mye-znet<br>
as the searchDN is the start of where you are looking for entries<br>
auth-ldap-filter: is the attribut that is checked. if it matches with the
supplied login, the entry is considered good, so :<br>
auth-ldap-filter: uid<br>
finaly, the <br>
auth-ldap-username and auth-ldap-password shoud reflect to the user used
to bind to the ldap server and do the search :<br>
auth-ldap-username: cn=mailadmin, dc=mye-znet.com,o=mye-znet<br>
auth-ldap-password: secret<br>
of course, the mailadmin user must have search privileges on the DN.<br>
Have a look at the tpop3d doc. As far as I remember it is well maintained
and fully understandable if you take some time to read it, and read some
ldap stuffs.<br>
I'll try (will be hard) to re-install latester tpop3d and see how I can provide
more documentation and examples in the doc (ok chris ?)<br>
I don't remeber but check the doc also about append-domain problems....<br>
Finaly, you should really check openldap's logs (debug set to 256 is good
I think, and see what filter is used and which entry are returned. also,
which user is used for binding to the server, if it works or not.....<br>
Cheers,<br>
Prune<br>
<pre wrap="">
</pre>
Thai Tran wrote:<br>
 cite="midIPELJBOKFFLIECKDHDBFOEFMCFAA.t_tran99@yahoo.com">
  <pre wrap="">Hello everyone,
	Here is a copy of my tpop3d.conf:

mailbox: maildir:/home/mailspool/$(domain)/$(user)/
append-domain: yes
auth-ldap-enable: yes
auth-ldap-url: ldap://localhost
auth-ldap-searchdn: o=mye-znet
auth-ldap-password:
auth-ldap-filter: &lt;need help with this portion&gt;

    <pre wrap="">-----Original Message-----
	Sorry to bother you but I'm pretty knew at this and this
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">might seem like a
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">stupid question, but how would I go about editing the filter to my
specifications?  I would like to log in with <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:username@domain.com">username@domain.com</a> for
example.  The username portion is an attribute within the object which is
'uid'.  I'm quite new to all this and I've tried running through the
auth_ldap.c and auth_ldap.h not knowing where to start.  I would
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">understand
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">how to use tpop3d more if the query was in a ldap URL format.  I am
currently using this schema for Exim already and I was hoping I
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">could keep
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">it this simple.

Here is a snip of one of my objects:

dn: cn=t_tran99,dc=mye-znet.com,o=mye-znet
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: mailUser
dc: mye=znet.com
sn: Tran
cn: Thai
uid: t_tran99
mailQuota: 5M
userPassword:: e01ENX03NVVDQW9NZkRweE41ZDhKZXlwcVhBPT0=
mailMessageStore: /home/mailspool/mye-znet.com/t_tran99/

Thanks again,
Thai Q. Tran
Email <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:t_tran99@yahoo.com">t_tran99@yahoo.com</a>

      </pre>