[tpop3d-discuss] Tpop3d over NFS with Maildir: New mail files not immeditately seen?

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:31:01 +0000

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 02:10:07AM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:09:07PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > If Paul M. is reading this -- did you put in the
> > check-for-newer-files thing, or is it mine? I can't quite
> > think why it's there....
>
> I was asking myself that same question! Looking back, it's something
> that happens in qmail-pop3d whence I drew some inspiration. I vaguely
> recall understanding why at the time but don't recall any more. To add
> further mystery, no-one on this thread knows either,
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=Vpopmail%2Bqmail+pop3+has+lost+it%27s+mind%21&list=513

I can't find anything more useful, but I was entertained
by this old comp.mail.imap thread, entitled `Is Qmail some
kind of joke?':

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=7jco8i%24krd%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

-- I don't endorse, necessarily, the views therein, but
there are some choice quotes from Mark Crispin -- the
bloke whose response to the mess of UNIX mailspool locking
was `this is all a pain in the arse, so I'm going to
invent ANOTHER, utterly weird and COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE
way of doing it' -- about Maildir: (my emphasis)

    Maildir requires an ongoing investment of a
    significant amount of resources that are not available
    at UW. I have a long list of programming and support
    project that need to be done that are considerably
    more important than crank ideas of what constitutes a
    mail store.

Heh. Fight fight fight!

--
``Hello,'' he lied. (Don Carpenter, quoting a Hollywood agent)