[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d 1.5.1pre2 (with TLS support)

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:16:36 +0000

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:05:58PM +0100, Angel Marin wrote:

> > a bit slow). With Mozilla, it works most of the time, but
> > sometimes gives me a `bad write retry' error. I don't see
> > why this should happen, since I think I got the TLS state
> > machine right. What a pain....
>
> I think there are many underlying bugs in openssl library when implemented
> on a non blocking way.

I'm more inclined to think that it's a bug in my code, but
I can't reproduce it consistently....

> Openssl only works as spected if you fork on connect
> and use blocking IO otherwise I always got weird results. May be GNU TLS is
> a better option ? But I don't know how mature it is.

Hmm. It's a possibility. I looked at GNU TLS a while ago,
but I have no feel for how mature it is. Another
possibility is the Mozilla TLS library (`NSS') but from a
quick look at the documentation, this seems to support
blocking I/O only, which would mean an exciting journey
into the world of threads. And if I'm going to do that, I
could just use OpenSSL in blocking mode. Plus, OpenSSL is
much more widely available than NSS.

> I'll give It a try tomorrow morning on my next maintenance window.

Splendid-- thanks.

--
``I need an immediately distinguishable character...
  so I'll use something that no-one will recognise.'' (maths lecture)