[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d 1.5.1pre2 (with TLS support)

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:50:45 +0000

I've now integrated preliminary TLS support in tpop3d.
This is available from anonymous CVS. The complete list of
changes from 1.4.2 is as follows:

 tpop3d now supports the WHOSON protocol (http://whoson.sourceforge.net/) for
 POP-before-SMTP relaying, thanks to Arkadiusz Miskiewicz. Added support for
 `mass virtual hosting', where the domain name used for a connection is based
 upon the name associated with the address to which a client connects. Made a
 small change to the documentation to make it clearer. tpop3d now obeys
 configure's --sysconfdir option. Improved the performance of the mailspool
 parser. Fixed a problem in the command parsing code which could cause problems
 with Eudora's command pipelining; thanks to Shin Zukeran for this fix. Fixed a
 minor problem in the PAM code, thanks to Christian Nordmann, and also added
 facility to use auth-pam for authenticating users who have no UNIX account
 based on his patch. Fixed a bug which could cause a crash if there were NULL
 values in a database being used by auth-mysql. Added scripts/tpop3dtraffic,
 which extracts the identity of the heaviest POP3 users from logfiles. Added a
 permit-empty-passwords option, default no, largely to protect LDAP users who
 left LDAP anonymous authentication switched on.... The I/O layer was rewritten
 to use non-blocking I/O throughout. Support for TLS was added. Connections are
 now frozen briefly after a failed authentication using code adapted from a
 contribution by Yann Grossel, who also contributed support for MySQL server
 failover for auth-mysql. tpop3d will now remove a stale lock files for
 mailspools.

-- this is an experimental, and little-tested pre-release.
In particular, I haven't tested STLS support yet, since I
don't have a client which uses it. The intention of this
announcement is to solicit useful commentary on the
changes.

--
``We apologise for the lack of seats. This is due to the volume of passengers.''
  (announcement on train)