[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d and Netscape

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:34:44 +0000

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 06:28:21PM -0500, Gerry Freymann wrote:
> Are there any known issues in tpop3d-1.3.4 or tpop3d-1.3.5 with Netscape's
> mail client?
>
> I just set up an email account for a client and have been completely
> unsuccessful in getting Netscape's email client to download email. I think
> they have Netscape 4.
>
> We can access this pop account via web mail and Outlook 2000 no problem.

I think that Netscape will try to second-guess your
account name if you enter something of the form
foo@bar.com -- it will assume that you don't know the
difference between an email address and a POP3 account
name. Using foo%bar.com instead should fix it.

If this isn't applicable, try starting tpop3d with the -v
option and see what the client is sending and receiving.

> Next question... is there a command where you can confirm which release of
> tpop3d is running? I can't remember if I installed from ports (on FreeBSD,
> which at that time was 1.3.4) or if I installed from source (I do have the
> 1.3.5 tar ball in my home directory). I would like to know for sure which
> version I'm really running.

If you run tpop3d -h it will tell you the version number;
it also logs this information at startup.

--
 The University of California Department of Statistics...
 where mean is normal, and deviation standard