[tpop3d-discuss] hostname?

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:28:13 +0100

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 07:22:13PM +0200, Allan Joergensen wrote:
> On 30-Jun-2002, Chris Elsworth wrote:
    [...]
> > host 194.255.24.145
> 145.24.255.194.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer coredump.nowhere.dk.
>
> +OK <1574b161e2e25c61dae6abdd184cd863@coredump>
>
> It would seem that thins break if you have "0.0.0.0" as the listen
> address.

$ host 0.0.0.0
Host not found.
$ host 0.0.0.0.in-addr.arpa
Host not found.

-- typically, unless your reverse-DNS is broken in some
spectacularly creative way, INADDR_ANY won't have a name
associated with it.

The simplest way to fix this is to set the domain
explicitly.

uname(2) also has a field for domainname. On many of my
machines, this is blank, but I suppose that tpop3d could
use it if non-blank. However, I suspect that it would be
`more correct' to use the full domain name (node name .
domain name) of the system in this scenario. I'm open to
reasonable suggestions and patches, as ever, but this is
probably too trivial a point to worry over unduly.

Is tpop3d.conf(5) unclear on how the listener: directive
is used?

--
``Decommissioning is the perpetual rock
  upon which we have come adrift'' (Peter Mandelson)