[tpop3d-discuss] hostname?

Chris Elsworth chris at shagged.org
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:15:24 +0100

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 06:10:53PM +0100, Chris Elsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 05:19:00PM +0200, Klaus Rene Hansen [ Sconk ] wrote:
> > how do i change the hostname (pukkelhval) to some thing else?
> > POP3< +OK <a48bc8aa5c46587b6cd6cd1e971f054c@pukkelhval>
>
> I believe it uses the value from /etc/resolv.conf listed as domain:
>
> domain  shagged.org
>
> is what I have, and I get:
> +OK <180f4e4957b4018e6af742e598dc78fa@shagged.org>

Bah, no, it doesn't.. actually looking at the code reveals it does a
reverse lookup on the IP thats being connected to, and if found, uses
everything after the first period. If there's no entry, it uses the
uname of the system, which is presumably whats happening with you. So
really you should set up some correct rDNS for the listening IP.

I hope thats right, or I'm going to look even sillier than I already
do .. :)

--
Chris