[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d, version 1.4.2pre2 (Was: segfault on bad password)

Michael Klatsky mklatsky at cttel.com
08 Jun 2002 09:23:31 -0400

DRAC is Dynamic Relay Authorization Control...it is a very efficient way
of enabling pop before smtp. While I don't necessarily like the premise
of pop before smtp, as a provider of ISP services, it's something that
customers (especially business travelers) want. So....

Anyway, drac is set up as an rpc service and when properly configured is
very secure. In many cases, the popper and smtp server are the same
machine, and for that- the hooks in tpop3d, or pop-before-smtp (
http://popbsmtp.sourceforge.net/) are fine. But with DRAC, the popper
can be on a different machine from the smtp server, and that is
definitely an advantage. If this is something you might be interested in
implementing- I'll be happy to test in a production environment.

--

Sincerely,

Michael Klatsky
Senior Unix Administrator